Friday, February 12, 2010

Helix from lines and points

Following two great blog posts on creating helix’s; one from Buildz blog and the other from BIM troublemaker, I thought I’d run through my solution to this problem. I have been experimenting with this for a few weeks now; not being great at math, I wanted to see if I could create a helix without the need for heavy formula.

image

Hopefully these two videos will explain my approach; I’ve had to split the the how-to video into two parts, due the 11 minute YouTube limits! They include all the normal mistakes, so don’t expect a super slick video. :-)

If you interested, you can also download the family from here.

4 comments :

Stephan Schneller said...

Thanks David,

Fantastic tutorial!

One question, how did lock the line to the ref points?


Regards,

Stephan

Unknown said...

Thanks, glade you found it useful.

"One question, how did lock the line to the ref points?"

You don't actually need to, if you choose a model line and make sure that you enable 3d snap, you can snap to the model line to the existing ref points. When these points are adjusted, the line will follow.

Stephan Schneller said...

David,

Thanks again, I got there at the end and it looked really nice.

After playing with it I added a few things and tried to turn it into a little bridge.

Looked pretty cool but when I tried to load it into a new project it just wouldnt work (cant make type)

Any idea why?

I was hopeing to render it in the project.

Regards,

Stephan

Dave Baldacchino said...

Hey David, playing catchup on the massing environment here (just for fun, not for work!). I'm sure you know but for those that might be reading this post, in 2011 we now have a lot more (& better) control of hosted points without the need for cryptic radians etc. For example for circle-hosted points, we can now use actual degrees and normalized curve parameters (values between 0 and 1 to represent one revolution).