Friday, April 03, 2009

Revit 2010 - Concept massing enhancements

2010

With the Autodesk Revit 2010 release due very soon, I thought I'd share these videos with you on the new concept massing features. This only covers fraction of what is now possible. But I put these together quickly the other evening whilst travelling home on the train.The new concept modelling tools are one of the major highlights of this release and as well as being fun to use, they are easy to learn and  provide far more flexibility when designing building forms in the early stages. Gone are the extrude, sweep, resolve and blend tools; instead direct manipulation is the new way to work.I know our designers just can't wait to get there hands on this release!

This first video shows how you can extrude a simple rectangle and then push and pull faces and edges. The the new add edge tool then allows you to split a face.

This second video shows how to use points and reference lines to manipulate and control surfaces.It is particularly important to learn how these work, as it will allow you to develop geometry which is non-destructive.In future posts I will look at other elements of the new concept tools. Enjoy. :-)

2 comments :

NY said...

I don't know why, but it reminds me of how sketch up works

Arthur Gunawan said...

Hi David,

I just notice in 2010, the "Divide" ribbon-button is not available on mass that was created by reference lines.

The button only available if the mass was created by model lines.

Is this a bug?